27 November 2006

Blogs: A big herd of self-obsessed cows blocking the information superhighway

Who's got time for all this blog bizzo? If the rapid rise of individual blogging outpaces the number of people buying computers, we may reach a stage where there is no-one left in the world with time to read them? Yes it's gloriously democratic to be able to express an opinion for all the world to see, but who cares? Isn't blogging just an online version of boring your mates at a BBQ with the minutae of your life? Hell's bells perhaps we're confusing documenting with living. Putting aside people who control nuclear weapons and those who aspire to control them, does anyone really care what someone on the other side of the world did today? And even if they care, is it healthy for them to do so. Can there be too much information?

On an individual level, I need help. I'm all for diversity of media, and would be the last to suggest the internet equivalent of book burning. But I'm screaming out for someone to create an information sorting device that brings the internet back to a human dimension. I want a single page that contains all I need without distracting me with links to things I don't - the internet equivalent of the sexily simple iPod.

I like to know stuff. This is not a bad thing. But it places me in mortal danger of losing a balance between accumulating information and deploying it usefully. I find myself info-grazing far beyond the purpose of my search - to the info-antipodes and back in half an hour.

Tim's impossibility theorem: Amount to learn = infinite; Time to learn = finite; Chance Tim can absorb everything he wants = zero;

In search of self discipline, I'd like to install a restraining device on my computer - a succession of pop-ups activated whenever I click an article link.

(Pop up 1) Tim, you've clicked on a link to an article about Lebanon. Are you sure this is what you want? (Yes to proceed) (No to refrain from distraction)

(Pop up 2) Tim, do you really need to learn about Lebanon right now? (Yes to proceed) (No to concede you're just procrastinating)

(Pop up 3) Tim, first persuade me that knowing about Lebanon will nourish your presentation on economic development tomorrow. (Fill in explanation to proceed) (No to return to presentation preparation)

(Pop up 4) Ok Tim, you either need to know about Lebanon or you're a lost cause - (click here to proceed).

If someone invents this, please let me know. In the meantime good old-fashioned self discipline shall have to do.

If you have time, check out this link to Tory boss David Cameron's blog - I'm wondering whether a person with time to write a blog should be allowed to run a country?

webcameron http://www.webcameron.org.uk/

And this journo reckons he's just being a tosser.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,1957952,00.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly agree....SO very distracting. Self discipline is only the way to go!