14 February 2009

Duck on debut

So I made my cricketing debut in the sub continent, all trumped up with expectation that my innate cricket skills would shine through. Despite a decade of once-a-year backyard cricket outings, I was sure my 'technique' would rise from the ashes of my junior cricket career. The first ball thundered down (ok I exaggerate - it sort of lumbered down) from the bowlers end and cannoned into my pads as I tried to flick it down leg side. A big appeal, but a lucky reprieve. The second ball hung in the air and swung in slow motion from right to left. I was bamboozled and my stumps were flat on the ground. As I walked off, a friendly outfielder offered that "you forgot to move your feet". Later in the car on the way home my driver - who had been watching from the car park - told me I had paid the price for playing across the line. This is a country of cricket experts, and everyone has an opinion - and they're more than happy to share it. Back to the nets for me.

No comments: