27 February 2007

Hi, I'm from Oceania

Today, for the first time in my life, I was tagged as a representative of 'Oceania.' How very exotic and Miss World that sounds. It made me think a little about being Oceanian (is that the correct name?). I thought of my friends who work for the EU and their unitary joy at being 'European.' I thought of the debate about 'Asian values' and about the ANC's soaring rhetoric on 'African unity', and I thought of the hymns to Bolivarian solidarity sung by Chavez and his South American pals. But who weeps tears of joy for Oceania? It sounds like a theme park - all watersides, fish tanks and polenesian goddesses. Perhaps Disney will make a movie about Oceania and we can all understand what it is we belong to. In the meantime, I'm going to try an experiment - if asked where I'm from I'll say "Oceania", bursting with pride. Lets see if anyone sniggers.

No comments: