28 January 2007

Flag-caping takes the world

While I'm pretty sure there were no Australian sporting fixtures taking place in Covent Garden on friday night (unless I missed a game of street cricket), the cobble stoned laneways were peppered with caped crusaders - Aussies celebrating our national day. It's nice to see the beer'n'barbie festivities transposed across the world in such numbers. And just to clarify, I don't think everyone draped in a flag is a racist - far from it. I just feel sad that my own impression of the flag has been tinged with such connotations. I like Rohan Connolly's piece in The Age about jingoistic nationalism. He captures it well.

On friday night, a woman sat opposite us to remove her ice skates - underneath lay one yellow and one green sock.


Here is the illustrious High Commission

No comments: