10 August 2011

Traffic rainbow

The following might sound like total hippy nonsense but w'eva. I was in dense bumpertobumper traffic tonight and the sky was dark with an imminent downpour. To my right in the backseat of an old Maruti-Suzuki hatchback sat a green-sari'ed lady. She was twisted around looking up at the sky through an open window with a beaming smile on her face. The light caught the white of her upturned eyes. I glanced at my blackberry and back again - she was still staring up and BEAMING. Check that out - why is she so friggin happy - is she channeling the Dalai Lama? I looked up and there, in the brooding 7pm Delhi sky was a rainbow - not the best ever, but a nice little rainbow. I looked back at the lady and she was totally transfixed on this sky-miracle, a mary poppins look of innocent pleasure on her face. And I thought ain't that nice. All these half-empty-glassers honking their horns and railing at the bullshit traffic and over there is a solitary half fuller soaking up the dramatic sky with its sash of magic colour. So, thanks sari lady - you made me smile. I'll smell the roses tonight.

No comments: