11 January 2009

land of a thousand newspapers


I love that India is bucking the trend away from printed newspapers. New Delhi alone has more than 15 english language daily newspapers and many more in the vernacular. One estimate I've heard is that India has more than 2000 daily newspapers, with many more periodicals. I get a mere four delivered to home each morning - the Hindu (above), the Economic Times, a subsidiary of the Wall Street Journal called 'Mint' and the Times of India. I've already been chastised for my choices, which I think I'll shake up from time to time. Some are more opinion-driven than others, and some lean towards hyperbole and sensation, but on the whole the quality of writing is high. Surprisingly, they're all content rich - there are a lot of 'happenings' in a country of a billion people (and a city of 15 million).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that the language is just a bit more flowery in the papers there. Lots of long sentences and unnecessary adjectives. All the drama! Enjoying the blog bidip. The piccies make it all the more enticing.